Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jpennybags

Good Deeds; Bad Thoughts... Still Good Karma?

Shortly after booking a tidy $670 in profits (around 20 minutes after the open) there came a knock at the front door. I have a door knocker and not a door bell, so this knock was recognizable as my neighbor who is an elderly woman that lives alone. For some reason she lifts the knocker then drops it rather than just rapping it… it makes a distinctive sound… knew it was her. She doesn't come by to chat; only when she needs something… so, I answered the door.

"Good morning Margret how are you?"… after a quick glance across the street I knew why she was here. A sprinkler head had ruptured, and was shooting a stream of water in the air. No big deal, but she was concerned, and asked if I could come shut off the valve. The first reply that came to mind was: "it will shut itself off in 30 minutes… just let it go". I thought better of it though and said "OK" (because how long can it take).

Well… due to the location of the shut-off valve (which Margret did not mention until we got there) I had to make it past the ruptured sprinkler head; only one way to get there and I was going to get wet. Now I know why she came to get me… she didn't want to get wet. I had a suspicion that the ISM number may print ugly… "get this thing done; get back to the desk". The valve was tight but after a couple of minutes I got it moving. As i was closing the valve, the result of which pressure was coming off at the sprinkler head (for some reason that I still haven't figured out) the flow of water then changed and was directed straight up my back… I got soaked.

Margret wanted to chit-chat some and offered to get a towel… to which I declined the towel and hurried the conversation along, which ended with: "well, gotta go… bye". Then as I'm sloshing back to the house some ugliness crept in: "never… never answer the f***ing door during market hours, d***ass!". Well… the ISM number printed ugly… the market sold off… and I stood there watching the end of the move dripping dollars onto the floor. The only reason that I wasn't upset was that I had booked a nice trade earlier. I dried off, changed clothes, and cleaned up the floor.

After stewing for a bit… I entered a short trade picked up $400; caught the reversal picked up $374; reversed again caught $530. A banner day… best in weeks. I was so amused with it all that I took the rest of the day off (before the averages caught up with me… no shame in running away).

I'll be raising a toast to Margret this evening.