Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

carltonp

Creating An Index

Hello traders,

Can someone please tell me how does one go about creating an index?

For example, if I followed 10 of my favourite stocks, how would I go about creating an index of those stocks?

Cheers

Carlton

there are many different ways - do you want them to be volume weighted, weighted by market capitalization, equal weighted, weighted as per you initial portfolio weightings????

how often do you change the index and put new instruments into it.

The simplest index of the stocks you are looking at is an equal weighted index from a common base...get excel and muck around

Hello traders,

Can someone please tell me how does one go about creating an index?

For example, if I followed 10 of my favourite stocks, how would I go about creating an index of those stocks?

Cheers

Carlton

What is the objective? Do you want to know overall profit or loss? Do you want to test for correlations? Will it be part of your trading strategy? What trading platform are you using? You'll probably need to either program a study that accesses the data for each stock, then does the math, and plots the output. Or there may be some charting platforms that allow simple addition of ticker symbols in the symbol field.