Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

daedalus

Calculating the Fibonnaci Levels of a Candle

I'd like to qualify a study to check and see if the close of a candle is below or above the 78.6 retracement value of that candle. Except I can't seem to calculate the value to check correctly.

{C = B + (A — B) x N%}

This is for a downtrend candle.

Step1 = High - Low;
Step2 = Step1*.786;
Step3 = Low + Step2;
Plot4( Close, "IB FO S 78.6", IBShortColor );
Plot9(""+ numtoStr(Step3,5),"78.6 Value");
Alert("IB Fakeout S");
end;

NoPlot( 4 ); 

So that is what I was doing, which obviously doesn't quite work. Am i thinking about this wrong? Fibonacci is simply a measure of percentage of a given length in a market. Thus, if I want to measure a candle I need to measure the From the High to the Low, and then multiply that by .786 to get 78.6% measure of the candle right?

Edited by daedalus

I don't know EasyLanguage (assuming that's what it is), but where are you measuring from (the high, low, median, something else)? Ret768 is just .768 * the spread, so "if Close < Ret768" will practically always be false (example, if ES closed at 900.00 and the spread is 10.00, you're asking "is 900.00 less than 7.68?"). If you're wanting .768*spread from the High, try something like this (again, I know nothing of this language):

if Close < High-Ret768 then

Nevermind gents... daddy cracked it! I was having issues because depending on which way the retracement is going you either need to multiply X .786 for longs, or by its inverse .214 for shorts.

Step1S = High - Low;
Step2S = Step1S*.214;
Step3S = Low + Step2S;
Step1L = High - Low;
Step2L = Step1L*.786;
Step3L = Low + Step2L;

//Then just check if the close is > < the 78.6 value of the candle....

if Close > Step3L then  //go long
If Close < Step3S then  //go short

Thanks for the help!