Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jjf

Best Symbols for Trading Commodities

What are the best futures symbols for trading:

oil

bonds

combined commodities ie CRB Index

and apart from the metals, what other symbols are good for day trading

many thanks

No best. It depends on your account size, risk tolerance, average time you want to hold, volatility and to a lesser extend your approach. (probably a load of other things I have neglected to mention too).

Indexes seem most popular (as I guess people move from stocks). Notes, energy (oil in particular) metals (gold in particular) seem to have a small but dedicated following.

What are the best futures symbols for trading:

oil

bonds

combined commodities ie CRB Index

and apart from the metals, what other symbols are good for day trading

many thanks

you need volume for daytrading...

I would check out the higher volume symbols first...

Thank you very much.

I am a twelve year ES day trader and I am looking to widen my horizons.

So far Fx is the best fit with some adjustment for the stops and trendiness, but I am keen

to take a look at oil etc before I commit.

I dont do anything clever, just follow price thru s&r, so all suggestions gratefully received.

cheers

I wonder what your motivation is? New challenges perhaps. I guess its not because the ES is not liquid enough for you;)

Take a look and see, seems like you have the experience to judge. I am not sure what you are after to be honest. Do you want more volatility or less than the ES? What sort of holding period? What time of day? Some of the EU indices might suit you if you are a late person (your in Oz right?)

Actually Blowfish , JJF and Tams I was wondering myself how to search for highest volatility and biggest dollar bang per tick and hence which markets therefore to trade best with these two things in mind.

I could imagine a volatility index ie VIX setup for a lot of different markets to show what is the most volatile at any time. Is there any other way to lock into the right market quickly to take advantage of its volatility and bang per tick ?

Thanks guys

All the Best

John

I have not subscribed for years but Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities used to publish a monthly (which was overkill) table of volatility, $/tick, average daily range type info for a variety of markets. Have a chat with your broker they should be able to help. Of course you need to be clear about your requirements (which you have been JBW). I am still kind of unclear what the OP is after. Markets only have a finite number of variable (and those don't vary that much).

Ideally I would want bang per buck more through greater granularity (of ticks) than through a bigger contract. DAX isn't bad as far as indexes go.

I have not subscribed for years but Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities used to publish a monthly (which was overkill) table of volatility, $/tick, average daily range type info for a variety of markets.

Hi,

The current list can be found here.

google: site:traders.com liquidity

Regards,

That's the boy. Pretty much all you need to decide what to watch. I'd like to see a contracts to trade weighted for average daily range thought.

Edited by BlowFish

This is strange....

I would expected Russell 2000 and Nasdaq futures to be better day trading instruments compared to ES.

Better in the sense they have better Daily Range in dollar terms.

But the chart seem to indicate otherwise....

Anyone knows why ?

thanks

Edited by aljafp