Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Looking for a Program That Can Scan Markets Based on Parameters Set

I have not used it and don't know flexible this is, but you can do some real time scans with Trade Ideas (http://www.trade-ideas.com/).

Also in Amibroker, you can run a scan on your selected group of stocks every minute. Actually you can set it how often you want to run it, but a minute is the lowest you can go. The advantage is that you can pretty much create any scan you can dream of in Amibroker. The disadvantage is that Amibroker does not have the most user friendly language to program in.

I use AmiBroker and I think it has an outstanding performance/price ratio. For less than $300 one time fee you have a powerful and flexible analysis tool. I am not a programer, but I read the AmiBroker manual and was able to code Market Profile, jperl's VWAP indicator and more. I was told that the language has a similar syntax as C++, but I cannot judge it as I dont know C++. If you have any experince with programing, you should be able to learn AmiBroker Formula Language in a few weeks.

You can run scans based on your own code, and you can define the output of such a scan and alerts. The effort you put into learning AFL will allow you to appreciate the flexibility it provides.

However, there are some disadvantages for real time trading, especially for scalping. The highest price chart refresh rate is 1 second, so you cannot watch every tick on a chart. If you use tick data feed the ticks come in packs every second. As sevensa wrote, the scans are not real time (continuous), but discretionary in some preset interval, 1 minute minimum. Also you must have an external data feed which you plug in to AB.

However, there are some disadvantages for real time trading, especially for scalping. The highest price chart refresh rate is 1 second, so you cannot watch every tick on a chart. If you use tick data feed the ticks come in packs every second.

From their helpfile, they have made some improvements in this area and the charts can be refreshed now on every tick, with some limitations. I copy and paste the section from the helpfile below.

New in 4.90: To enable 'every tick' chart refresh in Professional Edition, go to Tools->Preferences, Intraday tab and enter ZERO (0) into "Intraday chart refresh interval" field. (note Standard Edition won't allow to do that).

Once you enter zero, AmiBroker will refresh all charts with every new trade arriving provided that the formulasyou use execute fast enough. If not, it will dynamically adjust refresh rate to maintain maximum possible refresh rate without consuming more than 50% of CPU (on average). So for example if your charts take 0.2 sec to execute AmiBrokerwill refresh them on average 2.5 times per second.

From their helpfile, they have made some improvements in this area and the charts can be refreshed now on every tick, with some limitations. I copy and paste the section from the helpfile below.
Thank you, I didnt know that.

Guest forsearch
I'm interested in demo'ing any programs that can go scan markets, in particular stocks, for certain technical parameters. The only one that I know is TradeStation's radar screen.

I would need intraday feed/data, NOT EOD.

Is there anything else like radar screen or is that the only game on the block?

Worden Brothers: http://www.worden.com

brownsfan,

MultiCharts just released their new scanner module (Radar Screen clone) in the 4.0 beta. I haven't tried it yet so not sure if all the functionality is in place yet.

Edited by ochie

Brown you have a MC license right? Worth checking out if you do. + it will take data from OEC.

If not I would wait until version 5.0 beta before using a feature released in V4.0. MC betas always have a pretty hefty measure of pain involved in my experience :)