Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Any online poker players care to share (real money)?

So I'm about to make the plunge into the real money, online poker world. I don't know what it is about playing poker but it's something I really enjoy outside of trading hours. Maybe it's the similarities of trading that has attracted me to it.

Anyways, I was curious if anyone else plays online with real money and what your experiences have been. A poker friend of mine said there's plenty of donkeys at the real money tables and there's money to be had. I personally have not played online with real money, so I have no idea. I'd prefer to play face-to-face but online is just so convenient.

So any experiences to share? I'm currently on PokerStars and plan to just stay there since I know the software.

As some know I used to play poker professionally both on the tables and online. Online is where the quick money was made... averaging more money than most money wage based employees make in a day in 30-60minutes.

On the other hand, playing on the tables was a pure grind for me. Looking to get 1-2 hands every 60-120 minutes. It was slow and required alot of discpline.

Online poker a few years ago was extremely easy when newbies started crawling in from watching ESPN WSOP or Travel Channel Poker shows. As a matter of fact, my winning ratio was so good back then it is quite shocking. Now I do not play online anymore for two basic reasons.

1. I think the shuffling system is rigged. In other words, poker sites make money by allowing player to continue playing. Thus, spreading the wealth equally makes sense from a business perspective. This may sound like I am complaining... but I have seen way too many BS hands (myself and other players) that online poker no longer feels real to me. It is pure entertainment.

2. It became my life and career. Now I play as a hobby but still play to make money instead of playing for the excitement.

A few advices... play bigger stakes so you have less newbies calling everything. Prey on the weak guys... I used to roam around small less known poker sites and play small 6 person tournaments. This was my bread and butter.

Good luck!

Good quote from Rounders.

I love poker too, but hardly any of my friends who live around me know how to play. I have an account on pokerstar but for now I just fake money.

I have a friend who plays real money and he's pretty good at it. I'll see if I can get any good advice from him that I could share with you.

Thanks for sharing James (and James). I'm a little weary of playing for real in terms of possible hacks, bots, etc. but the same can be said of trading, right? I mean, how many times have we seen on other forums people complaining that 'the market is rigged' 'you can't win against bots' 'only the biggest bankrolls survive' etc. etc.

I don't plan to start with any huge sum by any means, more of a testing ground to see how it goes.

I do enjoy the sit & go tourneys. Those seems to fit my style of playing the best so far.